Monday, September 8, 2008

I know.... it's been a month...


What a month... I had very good intentions of sharing with you the books I'd been reading but it didn't happen. Doesn't make sense to me: the heat's not as intense, I have a routine with Jackson (although that can change in a flash!) or perhaps I just might be suffering from the same kind of illness that David and Amanda have, unbeknown to them or to me, as symptoms are deeply hidden: they don't keep their blog up, and now I don't write in mine either.

There's a difference, however, on this one. I have asked them repeatedly to place the newest and latest happenings of the little one, that really is the only person of interest, on their blog! I have given them all my pics that I take during the day to document his progress, which is moving in leaps and bounds these days, but, as family will remind us, the blog remains in the month of June. I will keep trying.

Jackson seems not to be growing a whole lot (I aim to help him with that....), but there's no problem: stats as of his 6-month well-baby physical performed at 7 months and 1 week (indicative of other delayed happenings...) are that the little one is 16.5lbs and 27 inches long, no, tall! He's sitting by himself, playing with his toys, enjoying those that make noise, particularly music, or ones that he can produce an action from the toy. Jackson's also trying to get crawling 'down.' He's been gifted with numerous demos from his mom and grandma. I don't know if he's laughing inside, focusing on the moves, or just plain ignoring, but I do see him practicing in his crib when he thinks no one's looking! So much fun to watch him these days. He's got a lot going on with development which is probably both exhausting and exhilarating for him.

His dad and mom got the high chair this past weekend, and he's taken to it and the whole feeding thing with great intensity. Food that was spewed out prior to this new piece of equipment is now taken off the spoon with joy! Go figure! Since he can enjoy his surroundings from a different perspective -- higher up, sitting up, on his own, and eating all at the same time, this becomes a good thing in his estimation. Mandy had bought him a tray suction toy a while back that he can twirl during his eating time, and he loves it. He's had access to it from the kitchen table, but this is quite different for him. Much more fun and I guess it makes peaches taste better. (Peaches here are so delicious, along with tomatoes and all sorts of beautiful fresh vegetables, and much less expensive.)

Other toys that he enjoys: the tower of tubes, soft stackable/chewable blocks, cloth books, anything that plays a tune, and the packaging (not dangerous to him, for those of you who are thinking such things right now) that the blocks came in!

The last couple of weeks have brought great change in Jackson. He's very fond of lady bugs that are in or on many of his books and toys. We have spread the beautiful quilt that he received from 'Gramma Pat' on the carpet for him to sit on and play with his things. There are lady bugs on that quilt also, and each time he sees them in another place he's quite pleased!

Now, I'm going to try to get a picture of the little one to go with this entry. Getting the picture is not so difficult. Getting one of the other adults here to get it into the blog is much more difficult, but just maybe, it will happen. Unfortunately I can't do it myself. Just working on this laptop has been tedious for me, but I'm learning.

We'll be coming back to the states on the 19th of this month for the R & R that is scheduled, a 21-day whirlwind trip for David, Mandy and Jackson. I, as the gramma/popo, will have a much more age-appropriate R & R. We'll all be in Penfield from the 19th through the 25th. The little family will leave the 26th for California to visit Mandy's family and for Jackson to meet his relatives there. I will be spending time with family and friends, catching up on yard work, and getting things ready for the next portion of this year in Turkey.

We'll all return to Ankara October 10, meeting in Heathrow for the last leg of the journey back.

No comments: