Tuesday, July 29, 2008

And, the second one appears right on schedule!

Jackson's second lower central popped into bite mode Sunday, just about a week after the first one! He's moving right along.

Today is his 6 month birthday! Mom Amanda can't believe he's growing up so fast. Ask any mom and it matters not when the child was born, the birth day is remembered in every detail, as are milestones along the way. And, it's all in the speed of lightening! Life is Good.

Well, I made it through town SOLO as Jackson and I made the return trip home from the American Embassy this morning. I will request that all appointments and events at the embassy be scheduled for about 10:30am and holding. The traffic was perfect! It was straightaway home with no fender bender and the minimum in horn beeping at my very unTurkish conservative driving. Would I actually have cared if someone was irritated? Not.

Tomorrow will be another 'opportunity' to challenge the roads as I'll be driving BOTH ways to accommodate Jackson's checkup, moved from this afternoon to tomorrow. I believe that it will be helpful for me to have experienced this two days in a row. In Ankara, the most dangerous thing possible is driving on these roads with local drivers able to touch your steering wheel when at a light or even passing! Amazing! We all marvel at the closeness to another car that is quite acceptable. Making a left turn from a far right lane is not out of the ordinary. One needs eyes all around one's head! Usual comment, 'Will you look at THAT?!' It never ceases to amaze.

My family back home went to see Vetiver, the band that my nephew Otto Hauser plays with, as they were in town for a gig. It was a great experience for both sides of the group: the band enjoyed themselves and mingled with their fans, and the fans had the pleasure of talking with each member at length. Overall a wonderful evening. Their music can be heard on either Otto's or the Vetiver websites. Check them out!

Another family member who sings and travels with a group is Sarah Versprille. She sings with the Josh Dion Band, a style quite different from Vetiver, which is more folk in genre. Check out her music either from her website or the Josh Dion Band website. Lots of music in the family! The Dion Band performed at the same venue as Vetiver in June (I think there was some help for them from Otto ;-) so Boulder Cafe in Rochester NY is becoming a family gathering place for music! Check out these musicians as well! Both bands travel extensively so check their schedules to note when you can see them live.

We'll be seeing some sights this weekend, a special time for us all. Next week will be a review of the places that were especially eye-opening for me, beautiful in scenery, and fun. I am told the food will be wonderful. Can't imagine it getting better than Ankara, but I'm willing to give it a try!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mom
I must admit I haven't checked this in awhile, because I find the phone calls so effective in connecting with you. You are so alive with detail in your blog, I have really enjoyed catching up. I can hardly believe it myself that the little guy is already six months old and has 2 teeth. Ken and I are really looking forward to your visit in September.
Turkey just seems like a wonderful place, except for perhaps the driving conditions. I can just imagine the stress you must be feeling as you navigate the closeness of the streets. Just remember, you are a pro behind the wheel.
Say hello to Mandy and Dave and give a big hug and kiss to Jackson.

Love,

Lena